Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Scenes These Days: Bike Life


I ran across this clip over the weekend while looking up what all my former roommates from the P.O.W. BMX House in the early 90's have done.  Todd Lyons, who is now brand manager for SE Bikes, narrates this clip about a ride out in Philadelphia last year.  I'm in a tiny Southern town these days, and largely out of touch with big city happenings.  So when I saw this, it amazed me how big the scene is, and how guys doing wheelies on cruiser sized bikes has become an urban movement. 

From my years in and around the BMX world, I know how a little scene can grow into something much bigger, even an entire industry, as the years go by.  I don't know where the Bike Life movement will go, but as an old school BMX rider and former industry guy, I know the vibe of having a bunch of guys (and gals) getting together and having fun riding. 

Props to Third Eye Productions for putting this clip together, and to Todd and SE Bikes for giving some props and support to a new kind of bike scene emerging.  Also, props to the police in Philly for taking a positive approach to the scene.  There's so much negativity these days, it's great to see good vibes on bikes happening in a new way.

No comments:

Post a Comment